The health benefits of vitamin b12 are generally well known (see below for a refresher) but one largely unknown fact is that almost half of all men and women have been shown to have some levels of vitamin B12 deficiency, despite being otherwise healthy. Severe levels of vitamin b12 deficiency can cause irreparable damage to nerve tissue and the bodys red blood cells. The great thing about vitamin b12 (vs. some other vitamins) is that is is water-soluble and non-toxic. This means that it is impossible to take too much vitamin b12any excess amount is simply passed through the kidneys and excreted from the body in the urine.
For these reasons, there are clear benefits to taking more vitamin B12 than just the minimum recommended dose for basic healthy functioning. The biggest benefits of vitamin B12 are:
- Increased Energy Vitamin B12 converts carbohydrates into glucose which, in turn, produces energy and leads to a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body. B12s ability to instantly boost energy levels is by far the most common and most powerful benefit of taking vitamin B12 supplements. The therapeutic amount is 1000 micrograms a day.
- Boost your metabolism - One of the best known benefits of vitamin B12 is that it has been shown to increase energy thus helping promote weight loss.
- Improved brain function Vitamin B12 has been shown to promote healthy regulation of the nervous system resulting in less stress, reduced brain shrinkage and less likelihood of depression. Also, studies have shown that a deficiency in Vitamin B12 and B9 can double the risk of Alzheimers Disease.
- Protect Against Heart Disease - Vitamin B12 (and B9) have been shown to lower levels of a protein in the blood called homocysteine which boosts cardiovascular health and decrease risk of heart attacks. regulating cholesterol and high blood pressure. B12 also prevents against stroke and is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system.
- Protects against cancer - Vitamin b12 and B9 is essential for DNA metabolism and maintenance which helps to prevent cancer and slow aging.
- There are virtually no vitamin B12 side effects.